Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Shepherd's Helpers

Over the holidays, I have had a neighbor helping with the sheep. Unfortunately, the flock has not been too cooperative and has given the shepherd's helpers some difficulty. I don't know if it's only my sheep who seem to get so attached or accustomed to one caretaker, but they are very skittish and unwilling to go into the barn for others. For me, the grain bucket just needs to be tapped a little bit and they all come running. Never any difficulty at all getting them in and fed at night.
However, that's not the story when others have taken care of them in my absence.
Yesterday during the blizzard, they were safe and sound, warm and cozy - all were in and doors were closed, keeping wet snow out and wooly critters dry. I am eager to see them and all of the snow we've gotten while I have been away visiting family, and as long as there are still ten little sheep when I get back to The Salty Ewe, it's all good.
Being with family has been a much needed and relaxing time, and even though I have been far from the farm, it's been clear to me that the Salty Ewe has become a state of mind for me as much as a physical location. So much to be thankful for as 2010 comes to a close, and good neighbors and friends who watch over the flock and the other beasts are a big part of that feeling. So, cheers to you all and thank you for everything that you do for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment