Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Time to Shed

W-O-O-L
The sheep are enjoying full range of the field again. Still too swampy for them to cross the brook, but they will get over there eventually. We're having typical spring weather with everything from rain to snow to hail and strong winds. Sunny days help to dry us all out and to make everything look a little greener.

For as long as I have had sheep, the Links have been shearing for me. Roger, Jr. and Roger, Sr. - two of the nicest men you'll ever meet and very well-versed on all matters sheep. Some years they come together, and other years just one of them will come. They shear a majority of the sheep in southern Maine and have been at it for years and years. I am hopeful that they will get over to the Salty Ewe sooner than later this year. As you can see from these great pictures that my friend Lori took on Saturday, they are in need of a close shave!

The lanolin in the babydoll's fleeces is pretty intense, and last year they were slipping and sliding on the tarps that we put down in the barn for the shearing. I have started to have a slight reaction to it as well, and so I am trying to minimize my contact with it until it's washed. Wearing long sleeves and gloves is necessary when handling them for any reason, though. Luckily, the lambs do not have that effect on me - their coats are still too short and lanolin not too heavy on them. So, I get to pick them up and pet them as often as I like. Which is often.

Beautiful Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment