Monday, May 23, 2011

Time Warp

Handsome Ram Bill
The day job has ramped up and kept me from posting too much in recent weeks. Admittedly, I have missed the writing and am eager for long, summer days with more time for reading and writing and playing with wool. 
The shearing day went very well, and although the weather has not been anything close to warm, I think the sheep are more comfortable with less wool on them. Piles and piles of fleeces are waiting for me to get to them - another lament of the demands of the day job during these final weeks of school. 
trimmed ewes
raw wool
The lambs look almost as big as their mothers now, which is always wild to see. They are starting to wean themselves, too. I have never felt good about pushing that process; rather, I have always let them work it out and eventually when they can no longer fit under their mothers they wean themselves.
Whether weaning lambs or waiting for the sun, I've found it's better not to hurry up nature. It doesn't work anyway. Things happen when they happen. No sooner, no later.

2 comments:

  1. Love the middle photo of the naked flock. You are wielding the camera as well as the pen (er, keyboard) very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Thanks, Lori! My little cheap digital camera broke last week and so I am recycling images now (or finding beautiful artwork to post) until I can get a new camera. Happy you approve!

    ReplyDelete