Saturday, November 28, 2015

Transformations


It's been a while. 
Just short of three years. Two weeks short just about.
Things have happened, and nothing at all
All at the same time.
It's weird. It's been a while.

The sheep left back in the Summer of 14. Or, was it the summer before that?
See, that's how it's been around here.
Losing track of days.
Years.
They left for much greener pastures, and more of them.
A barn fit for a King.
And, a staff to care for them.
They don't know me anymore when I visit with apples.
I visit less often now.

So the pasture became overgrown
It was beautiful in its own way, alive with birds and lightning bugs
Bees
And now it's become the romping ground for Henry and his new girl Mavis
I stand, quietly, and listen for the familiar sounds
They still echo and linger in the swails

I remember that first time I lost a lamb
Had no idea what I was doing, whether he was really gone
Running into the house with him cradled in my frozen arms
Trying to warm him back to life
When it hit me he was dead, I sat there shaking
This was a chapter in the raising sheep book I'd skipped over
Understanding that some things can never be brought back to life was not meant to be learned from books anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment