Monday, December 14, 2015

Friends

Henry and Mavis became friends immediately. I oddly had no reservations or concerns whatsoever about bringing her into the fold, so to speak; it never crossed my mind that Henry might not like her. He was gentle with her from the first moments and days, and as she has grown and become a more equal sparring partner, he has become less gentle; they play really rough sometimes.
It's something to watch. I have had to work hard at not intervening and just letting them work it out.
In the field, they run and spar for hours. Since we still have no snow in southern Maine, everything is swampy and wet - making for messy dogs.

Randall Jarrell's small but beautiful book The Animal Family has been a long time favorite of mine. I don't remember when I first read it - junior high maybe. I bought my own copy when I was in my twenties. Something about the story brought me great comfort and joy, and to this day it remains one of those books that can still bring me peace. The illustrations, so unlike his more popular images, are done masterfully by Maurice Sendak. Needless to say, his Max was another one of my childhood heroes.

Life's journey has brought (and taken) many good friends so far - both four legged and two; each one has added invaluable, beautiful lessons to my life, and when the rhythm of days allows enough time for deep contemplation and reflection, I am humbled by these experiences. Learning from friends and family, furry or not, continues to be one of the greatest joys of my life.  Tough lessons and all.

Running through the field getting muddy and wet is pretty much a great metaphor for living a life.


No comments:

Post a Comment