Saturday, October 15, 2011

Knitting.

There's something therapeutic about picking up the sticks and manipulating the wool around them to create these little lids. Part of the puzzle involves choosing colors and combinations, picking fat stripes or thin, and trying to count right as I gradually cast off. Simple. Tangible products, creative energy and meditative process. The knitting is good.

some from Lori and some from Kristin

The pattern I use is very basic - a rolled rim hat that I can now knit solely on round needles. I'd started with the round and moved onto the straight needles toward the top, but I found that it was easier for me to keep my stitches even and uniform if I stayed on the same needles that I started on. So, the hats are knit in a continuous, circular pattern with reducing stitches for the final eight rows; a classic lid. The hats fit most everyone's heads, and I've made a few 'custom' hats for friends who have either longer heads or preferred a shorter, beanie-like cap. 
The batch that I am working on now for the Daytrip Society will hopefully appeal to people and sell quickly. It's exciting to be knitting with a purpose. Although, I find that once I start moving those sticks around and sliding the yarn over and under and around, everything slips away and my thoughts turn to nothingness. The soft clicking of the wooden needles followed by a whisper of wool. Around and around. Form organically appearing with each passing row. Salty Ewe Knit Lids.

No comments:

Post a Comment