Saturday, October 29, 2011

Snow in October?

Woke up yesterday to a dusting and a slippery deck, and many others had several inches just a few miles away from the coast. Tonight into tomorrow, a major storm is predicted and most of Maine will be looking at a significant snow. In October?  Even for those of us who like the winter season, there's just something a little wrong with snow before Halloween. Not many times that I can ever remember this happening - maybe once when I was young in upstate New York. Vague memories of trick or treating in light snow.

So not ready for snow around here, and so today will be spent trying to prepare a few things for upcoming cold and snow - loading up on hay, getting hoses put away and digging out the shovels (before the rake had had a chance to even rake up leaves!). I have not gotten the garlic in yet, either, which is way late; so, today I am going to make sure that all 100 heads get into the ground and covered up with some deep mulching.

Hercules - the beautiful ram from Romney Ridge
And, I am thinking hard about this little ram. He is available and his owner, Kelly from Romney Ridge Farm in Woolwich, Maine is willing to part with him in exchange for a ewe of mine. I love the fact that he has the piebald gene - reminds me of my Jacobs, but still mini southdown - and think he would be a wonderful addition to the Salty Ewe. Something to think about as I sit and knit, watching the snow fall tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE HIM! a beautiful ram for a salty sea of ewes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'll be testing those salty ewe waters later on his morning! Arriving from Romney Ridge in Woolwich and couldn't be happier to have him joining our flock. Happy day!

    ReplyDelete