Monday, August 29, 2011

Ram, Bam, Thank you Ma'am

Irene was a breeze along the southern Maine coast; not so in many other areas and so again finding many reasons to be thankful. We lost power for about 24 hours and some trees and limbs definitely fell around town (two on a friend's house, sadly) but no reports of injuries or major damage in our area. The sheep were in for most of the day, but when there were peeks of blue sky in the mid-afternoon, they were let out and happily grazed until it got dark.

Without power there was little to do but read and take walks; found myself laughing out loud as I read Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving. After taking several tries at the book, I'm finally into it and remembering why I like Irving's writing so much. His storytelling is rich and full of quirky details, and the characters always feel like people I have either met or would like to meet. The macabre sense of humor and flow of his words have always attracted me to him as a writer, and when I was a young student of twenty and actually met him after a small reading (from Cider House Rules, which he was still writing), it was something else that attracted me to him. He has always been a favorite, and Last Night in Twisted River was a perfect book to read on a rainy, windy day in Maine.


No comments:

Post a Comment