Monday, November 14, 2011

When Love Comes to Town

You've got to jump that train.

It's all about timing in life...
The arrival of the new little ram has caused quite a flurry of activity here, just as much on the human end as on the ovine end. The pens never seem secure enough, fences always need tightening and water in three pens rather than one makes for more buckets. Soon the hose will stop running down the hill, and I will start to carry the water. Incentive to get down to two buckets.                                                                                                                                    
If I had only had a video camera on Saturday afternoon. After the trip down, he was placed in a small pen by himself while everyone sniffed and baa-ed from safe distances. The ewes were looking at me, then looking at Hercules. Then at me, and back at him. The looks on their faces were classic. Classic sheep. They looked totally dumbfounded but at the same time seemed to almost me thanking me. The shepherdess projects.
He is a very cute, small ram. And, it's easy to see why Kelly has loved him so much. It is definitely a difficult aspect of the sheep raising life...and, when I think about how I have been able to handle my rams in the past it is clear that I've been lucky. Only one - a randy jacob ram with deadly horns - went to an auction; it makes me feel better thinking that he was bought by someone who wanted him for stud purposes and no other reasons. Am hopeful that Bill will find a good home where he can keep making lambs for many more years to come.

So, it seems that the little Hercules has such a following that I am hoping it will be no problem at all finding homes for the lambs that will arrive in April if all goes well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment