Friday, July 23, 2010

Letting Go

I have discovered that one of the hardest parts of this sheep business is letting go. Someday, maybe I will see the benefit of all of the practice that I'm getting, and until then I will keep trying to let go with relative grace and ease. Some of the letting go experiences have been harder than others - stillborn lamb was one of the worst, and gifting Tulip and Hendricks to Nate was one of the easiest. Selling my whole flock of Jacobs four years ago to the Done Roving Farm was one of the most intense, probably because the entire flock left together at once. Yet, it was also positive because of the circumstances (an awful dog attack had seriously depleted the family's Jacob flock and left the humans traumatized and deeply hurt). The constant reminders and challenges of letting go make me think Buddhists are on to something. Leaving and letting go. It's easier with sheep than it is with people in my experience so far, but that's another story. Another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment