Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Wool in my Genes

My great uncle Herbie Shuttleworth told me many years ago that he was happy I was going back to my family's roots, and while it took me a few minutes to understand what he meant, I have not been able to stop thinking about his comment since. His parents came to this country from England and started Mohawk Carpets back in the early 1900s, and my grandfathers, father and brother have always worked in the carpet industry - for Mohawk. Honestly, I have always felt a little 'out of the loop' (no pun intended) because I was not interested in carpets - selling them or anything else. But, now I find myself very involved in the proverbial roots of those rugs - raising a very old breed that hails from the same land as my ancestors. I have been drawn to these sheep and find an incredible peace when I am around them. It feels good and right to be raising them and learning to work with their wool, and I feel lucky to be able to live a life that includes them. There are no coincidences.

No comments:

Post a Comment