Sunday, October 3, 2010

More Common Ground.

These are the three masks that I wrote about in an earlier post. They were on display at Common Ground in the Wednesday Spinners' Tent. Lori took the photos.

Susan Barrett Merrill's work has really made a very strong impression on me in a pretty short period of time. I finished reading her book Zati: The Art of Weaving a Life within days after getting it and have been digesting it since. I enjoyed Writing Down the Bones and The Artist's Way - both mentioned in a review of the Zati book, and Katharine Cobey's work has intrigued me since I first learned about her several years ago - and she reviewed the book positively.
When I read the other books, I was looking at writing and the process of writing; this new creative experience - involving sheep and their fleece - is so different from writing. Yet, the process is definitely familiar. Weaving has been a metaphor in my own writing throughout the years, and so the concept of Weaving a Life is one that feels about as full circle as it comes. Still knitting up hats but am eventually going to try my hand at weaving and working my way through the projects (keyforms) in Merrill's book.
A winter project to look forward to...

No comments:

Post a Comment