Monday, October 18, 2010

My Maine Thing

The Gang at GRB...Dad is the curly headed one on the far right
Many years ago, I gave my Dad a small picture book by B.A.King titled My Maine Thing. It's a very simple book, full of gorgeous black and white images from all over Maine. I remember writing something on the inside cover for my father, in essence thanking him (and my mom) for introducing Maine to me and for making our family visits to Goose Rocks Beach such positive and memorable experiences for so many years. Now that I have called Maine home for almost twenty-five years, I look back on those family vacations with great fondness and an even greater appreciation for Maine than I have ever had probably.
It's difficult sometimes being the only one in our family who lives in the state - yet, the presence of so many generations is comforting to me, especially on Goose Rocks Beach. So, when I start feeling pangs of missing my family (which inevitably occur from time to time), I usually find myself walking along the beach and gazing out across the Atlantic. The ocean has a calming affect on me - always has. It's true what they say about feeling small and inconsequential when you're looking out at such an impressive natural sight. Everything seems to slip into a balanced perspective when we put ourselves and our worries next to such greatness.
The beach holds many memories - of mine and of family members I never met. The sense of place that I feel in Kennebunkport comes from many generations of Youngs and Schuylers (and Shuttleworths and Annises) who also walked along Goose Rocks Beach and who found peace and comfort there. So, even though I may be miles and miles away from my family, I am home here in Maine. "My Maine Thing" has brought me a lifestyle that is rewarding and healthy, active and productive, and most of all, a life that celebrates a place where so many members of my family have flocked for years to relax and unwind. I feel so blessed to be able to live here, happily, with the sheep and the dog and cats...and memories enough to get me through long spans without family around.

No comments:

Post a Comment