Monday, March 14, 2011

Shepherd's Nirvana

Callie did indeed have her lambs on Thursday night. Two more ewe lambs, both black.
Shepherd's Nirvana is what I heard someone call it once - when your lambing season is short and easy with a majority of ewe lambs; Bella and Callie lambed within five days of one another and with the exception of one of Callie's lambs being huge and a little stuck, all has gone beautifully. Quite something having two sets of black ewes, too. I feel very blessed.
Bella with Mercy and Grace
Callie and still to be named twins





















Nate came over yesterday and docked the tails for me - something I have still not been able to stomach doing on my own. They didn't make a peep and were bouncing around within minutes.





3 comments:

  1. It means shortening them. I use elastic bands but some people cut. I prefer the bands because there is no open wound and does not seem to hurt them if done when they are very young. Notice the new lambs have little tails and in photos of older lambs and sheep, they have little stubs.
    That's a docked tail, grannynanny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bella with Mercy and Grace . . . that photo close up and the composition is just too lovely. Wonderful series of posts documenting this special time.

    ReplyDelete