Sunday, September 18, 2011

Getting Ready for Common Ground

In a few days, I'll be heading up to Unity, Maine for the Common Ground Fair. Two fleeces from The Salty Ewe Farm are going to be entered into the Fleece Judging Contest; very excited and also eager to see how we do and what kind of feedback the wool gets. Since I refuse to coat my sheep, the skirting and picking process is more important. I have picked, picked and picked again, removing small pieces of hay and grass and even some errant pieces of grain. I selected a beautiful brown fleece and then a white one; there's a limit to what people are allowed to enter and my fleeces will be judged against other fine wools, and since I am pretty sure that there are usually no other babydoll fleeces in the show, I am feeling optimistic about our chances of being recognized...somehow.

Taken by Lori last December

I've ordered more business cards in preparation for the show and will be putting together a small informational poster that will be displayed in the fleece tent along with information about all of the other small fiber farms in Maine. This photo is one that I like especially because it shows the range of colors in my flock...and the sheep also look happy and healthy (which they are). The informational poster will be posted here later in the week when I am finished with it.

Later on this morning, Bill will be having some female company for a few weeks. He has been very good this year since being pulled from the ewes (later than I should have this year); to think that it was ten years ago that I borrowed Zvookie - the great, four-horned Jacob ram from Jackie Horn - to breed my three Jacob ewes...and, here I am offering the stud services to others. It's been quite a ride, these past ten years. Feeling like things are really taking off in terms of making The Salty Ewe a more sustainable venture. Very exciting. Exciting indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment