Saturday, September 24, 2011

Salty Ewe Debut

The poster.

It was a rich day. My debut as a fiber grower. While it was a less than auspicious beginning - between a dark and foggy drive to awkward newness among apparent veterans - the day in general was just remarkable. The fog and my eagerness to get to the fairgrounds on time caused me to miss a turn, and so the drive was longer than it needed to be. Narrow, winding backwoods Maine roads. In the fog. In a hurry. Not a great combination, and yet it all worked out. I arrived at the gates within minutes of their closing to vehicle traffic. Found the Fleece Tent, unloaded and met Penelope - the woman in charge of all things fleece. Managed to get off the fairgrounds in time and parked in a meadow... as close to the fair as I could get, thinking ahead to the walk back. 
As I walked through the old pine forest to the gates, the reality of what I was doing there hit me. It was my coming out as a sheep farmer, the wooly debutante. Making it official, making it real - although it's been so real for so long. An odd thing, this making things public. When I arrived at the gates, it felt only right to join MOFGA, the Maine Organic and Farmers Association - which, among other things, includes entrance to the fair for free all three days and moving through the lines faster. I think the membership will continue to open doors and invite all kinds of new possibilities for the farmette.
Seeing some old friends, making some new friends. Enjoying the hippy vibe that was still palpable amid the hundreds and hundreds of school children (sneaking cigarettes, making out on grassy knolls and delighting in the foods and festivities of fair over school). I enjoy watching the kids at the Fair - and, while it was a day off from my day job, it's easy to see why that work fulfills so much. The sheep do a lot, but the children really do a lot, too. Good to be reminded of that when you least expect it.
So, I will wait to hear the outcome of the fleece sale and contest. It doesn't really matter in all reality. The debut was the prize. 


No comments:

Post a Comment