Thursday, January 6, 2011

Little Things

The other morning, I brought my camera down to the barn with me with the hope that I might be able to get some good shots of the sheep doing their happy dance. This was what I got. When I look at this image, it makes me laugh because they all look so orderly - almost like they come out of the barn two by two with adequate spacing between them. So not so. It's usually a small stampede in the morning, with all of them pushing their way through the doors as I slide them open.
Happy Sheep
The little dance that they do makes me smile and sometimes laugh out loud; without fail, no matter how much I may have on my mind, watching them jump around as they follow me (surround me) as I walk out to their feeding spot for the winter months brings a simple joy. Such a little thing.
Callie and Bella are beginning to waddle, so not much jumping going on with them. I do, however, get some head wiggles from them.

That thing animals do to communicate with us - if we slow down enough to pay attention - is pretty remarkable really. Whether a happy dance, a short series of baas, the look in an eye or the tilt of a head, they let us know what we need to know. And, with any luck, they know what we need them to, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment