Saturday, February 5, 2011

More Winter

The last storm didn't dump as much as we'd been told to expect, which was a bit of a relief to most I think. Even the plow truck drivers seem to getting a little weary. Cutting the paths for the sheep was a challenge though, as the wind had really whipped around and the snow in spots was thigh deep on me (which equates to way over the heads of miniature sheep!) After a couple of days of tromping around on them, the paths get pretty well worn and packed tightly, and they start to run and do their little wiggle dances when I carry their hay out to the winter feeding spot.
Their adaptability is admirable...yet one more lesson that I can learn from the critters here at The Salty Ewe. They have a way of making things look so easy, but I suppose in a sheep's world things are pretty easy. Especially in their world. With the exception of uninvited guests and days when it's too cold to be outside, they live a very sheltered and comfortable life here. No one's being shipped off to slaughter, no one's been separated from their mother, and everyone gets fresh water and food daily - not to mention haircuts, pedicures and pretty decent health care. All in all, they've got it pretty good. Far better than most other sheep, I am sure.
So, I take their cue and stop wishing for things to be different.  I can adapt and find the shelter and security off the farm that sometimes I lose sight of. It's there, but maybe hidden in wolf's clothing. It's there, and I just need to remember all these shepherd lessons that the sheep are teaching me. That learning and teaching thing - around and around it goes. Sometimes we find the most amazing teachers in the most unlikely places.

1 comment:

  1. I v. much like the reflective tone of recent posts. Keep 'em coming...

    ReplyDelete