Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fair Season

roving

some raw fleece
The fairs have started up in Maine and in and around New England, and I am hoping to be able to make it to a few this year. It's been a long time since I have gone to the Common Ground Fair, and this year I'm planning to go on a Friday to avoid some of the crowds that have kept me away in years past. I used to work at the Common Ground for Maine Times when I first moved to Maine in 1987, and back then it was still a relatively small event and held in Unity (if I remember correctly).
Nathan showed Hendricks and Tulip at the Acton Fair last weekend and apparently the judge thought they were good looking animals, especially the ram. Their fleece is still too short to be judged, but from what they could see, both sheep have good fleeces and conformation.  I'm curious how many other breeds have had slow-growing wool this summer do to the heat and humidity...thinking about Larry's Icelandics and how hot they must be right now. Their coats seem to grow fast enough to do two cuts per season. All this writing about wool is making me warmer than I already am, so that's it for now. Stay cool wherever you are, and keep an eye out for Earl all of you East Coasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment