Sunday, September 19, 2010

Last Sunday of Summer

the last pull from my garden
Not really ready to put away summer yet, but there's no way around it. The last weekend of the summer has been perfect for working outside and preparing for the coming months, and so that's what I've been doing. Cleaning out the garden is like packing up the car and pulling out of Goose Rocks. The only solace is knowing it was a great summer and that another one will be here soon enough - but, the pangs of pulling up the roots of established eggplants and the tangled vines of cucumber and squash always make me a little sad (not to mention sore the following morning).
As I weeded and pulled out bolted lettuce and various vegetables, I tossed a few treats in to Bill. He loves the carrot tops and tried celery leaf...seems to enjoy the weeds that I pick for him on my morning walk more than the garden fare, though. His pen is not too lush after only a week, and so I am trying to supplement his hay diet with picked greens. 
Watching him yesterday was good, as I could see when he was most annoyed and making the most noise; am feeling better now that he's calming down more and seeming to only be agitated when he can't see the ewes - or, when he can see them but they're too far away for his liking. They seem to hang around the fence near him, and my guess is that they miss having him in with them, too. So funny to think about what's going on in their little sheep brains. Probably a lot more than we give them credit for is my guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment