Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day

The tourists are leaving, the traffic's thinning and the leaves are beginning to turn. Earl ended up missing us completely - we only had less than an inch of rain and very minimal winds. A relief, but also a little disappointment after all of the build up. We could use a heavy rain. I expect the leaf season will be short and not too spectacular given the dry summer we've had, and before long there will be a frost. The acorns started to drop like mad about three weeks ago - and, although I have not found any wooly caterpillars yet, my guess is that they're all sporting fat stripes. The old wives were right on so many counts.
The sheep have been happily grazing in the back field often the past several days. Since I have been home, it's been fun to watch them go back and forth, jumping over the creek and moving up the hill to the shade of the trees. Cooler nights now, which is wonderful for sleeping and hopefully will also start killing off some of the flies that have been omnipresent this summer. The fleeces should start to thicken up now, too.
everyone waking up and heading out for the morning graze
Am feeling like it's cool enough to pick up balls of yarn and knit some, too. Excited to send off a sample to the Hope Spinnery to see if my wool is anything he'd like to work with. It would be great to find a spinnery in Maine where I could have my wool processed and spun, so I am hopeful he will not find their fiber too fine to work with.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet picture. I looked for those Babydoll Southdown sheep at our county fair, but there weren't any.

    ReplyDelete