Saturday, September 11, 2010

Little Barn, Little Sheep

the little sheep barn
As the summer comes to an end I am considering how all ten animals will fit in their little barn over the winter. Unless a couple find new homes in the next month or so, I think that I will be keeping them at least over the winter months. It's a good thing they're small and their coats are still pretty short, otherwise it would not feel as spacious in the barn with them all in there.
I'm always amazed by how much larger the barn feels after they have their spring shearing and after it's totally mucked; it's almost as if it doubles in size when they lose their winter coats. They will have enough room to walk around and everyone has ample room for sleeping and sprawling out, so I guess it will be fine. This winter, I plan to put the hay out on the hill so they need to walk a little farther to get to it...forced exercise.
I will try to find some of the images that I have from when we built the barn about eight years ago. Magic Robbie, as I called him that summer, had built some smaller structures before this one, but the sheep barn was his first real project as I recall. He went on to be a successful geo-thermal contractor in BC and is back in town building an incredible home for his soon-to-be-wife and himself. I have only seen pictures, but it looks like a beautiful building. I love my sheep barn and enjoyed being a little part of its design and construction - the stained glass windows and Dutch door make me smile every morning and I like to think they make the little sheep happy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment