Friday, August 6, 2010

Alchemist of Monkeytown

I've got little hanks of colored wool draped from some branches of an old maple tree that hang over my front porch, and several more hues are soaking in water and dye bath as I type. Hoping that the pink on my fingertips does not wear off on the keyboard; need to invest in some good gloves. And a few big, old pots.
Playing with color and wool all at the same time feels really right (and fun!) to me - and I'm eager to continue becoming the alchemist of monkeytown. Today I used some of the Earthhues cochineal that I picked up at Halcyon Yarns in Bath on Wednesday - and dyed several shades of wool in the deep fuschia bath - Una's white fleece, Callie's oatmeal, and Maya and Rollie's browns; the latter two are soaking overnight. Also tried soaking a little of the goldenrod, too, and it looks amazing. A sherberty orange, with variations in orange, yellow and fuschia. I'm diggin' the dying and feeling a little bit giddy about what doors this may open for me. Or what doors I go knocking on. Who'd have ever thought that I would become anything remotely similar to a chemist. A color chemist. Alchemy in the Heights. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh that playing w/ wool looks like so much fun!
    How about some purple??

    ReplyDelete