Sunday, August 29, 2010

May Lambs

A perfect late August morning. I can hear the surf from the deck this morning - so quiet save the chirping of hundreds of birds. I love these mornings. Second cup of joe and dog at my feet. 'I wonder what the poor people are doing today' is a line I hear during moments like these...echoed through generations, I think. We could be sitting as a family just about anywhere, and my dad would share this question. It's taken me nearly my whole life to date to really figure that one out. So. Here I sit, feeling pretty lucky. Getting ready to rig up the pen for Bill and Obed the wether...it's that time of the year, and I have to separate the ram before it's too late. This picture is of another kind of 'too late' - my May Lamb #1. She arrived while I was in NYC for Caleb's graduation, and Jed took control with the assistance of Jess. In this great photo (also from Jess!), Jed is probably grinning ear to ear behind that little head - taken when the lamb was just several hours old. After some harsh lessons on why not to have lambs in May, I will be sure to separate the ram again from all ewes after Thanksgiving.
She's a beautiful little lamb and while I would love to keep her, she is ready to go to a new home, preferably with her sister...also black and wicked cute (and born the following morning while I was still in NYC).  I'm hoping that after this weekend's Acton Fair and the article that Nate arranged in the Tribune, I may have some buyers. It's exciting to know that more people are becoming exposed to the breed through all of Nate's work at the fairs and with 4-H. I am really happy that I gifted Hendricks and Tulip to him.
I'd like to start breeding more deliberately, so I'm going to be looking for new homes for next year's lambs soon. Think I'll write to all of the vineyards in New England. They make good little mowers in vineyards and could see some bartering potential there.

No comments:

Post a Comment