Tuesday, August 17, 2010

BaaDoooo

A neighbor appeared at my door the other day with a beautiful bowl full of peaches - a hand thrown bowl and fruit from their own trees - hoping to trade me some sheep poo. I promptly bit into one, slipped on my shoes and walked down to the barn to help him load up some black gold. I finished the peach before I got down the hill. David and Diane live down the road and own a beautiful pottery shop in town, and they pedal their bikes to and from, past my house, several times each day weather permitting.  I have known them for nearly twenty years now, having taught their son Paul when he was in seventh grade and then moving into the neighborhood shortly thereafter. We loaded up some containers he'd brought and chatted about how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful place - really so sheltered from reality in many ways, but a simple and quiet and good life. They throw pots and sell them (The Good Earth in Kennebunkport) and have a beautiful family, including a cute new granddaughter who's come to see the lambs. My day job is allowing me to live a charmed life and slowly pursue my passions and potential second career.  We both agreed that we were indeed fortunate. And then I told David that I had definitely gotten the sweeter end of the deal; the peaches are some of the best I have ever eaten. He took home some goodies from my garden, too... a little lettuce, some orange and red cherry tomatoes, a cuke. The gardens are flourishing this year thanks to amazing sun and the primo black gold. And, his compost is a little richer now with the new load of baa dooooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment