Thursday, August 12, 2010

Good Timing

Everything comes down to timing, I think. When I decided that it was time to name this little farmette and try to make it a more sustainable hobby, the history of this land and neighborhood was an important consideration for me. After all, I really started with the sheep because I knew that if I did not put animals on the pasture where there had been cows for a hundred years, the town would probably not allow it.  As a grandfathered use, my flock is just as welcome in the neighborhood as the newest McMansions. The old Leach Farm is now a relative sprawl - advertised as clustering - of large homes with very manicured grounds (and a lot of impervious surface which has added to the wetness in my pasture over the years) Recently, a new neighbor  purchased Frost Woods and has proposed a nine lot subdivision. He put up a gate on Bufflehead Lane within months after moving in, and that was the first sign. The complete disregard for history and for the working class families who have called Turbat's Creek and Wildes District Roads home for generations is really sad. The almighty dollar. Greed and avarice. Karma.

You see things when you're ready to see them - no sooner and no later. Sage words from someone who helped me not only to realize this but also to put it into practice. The sheep slow me down and bring me a peace that a greedy person could probably never feel. I see that now and cherish the old Shuffleberg Farm, the new Salty Ewe.

No comments:

Post a Comment